Ordinary Girl

Jessica Maybury is stirring the Poetry Jam pot this week & has given us a choice of two prompts: 1) write about insomnia, or 2) write about these pictures: here, here and here. I chose option #2. I sort of followed instructions. As per usual, I didn't have a lot of control over the end result. (I wonder if I should explore the possibility of automatic writing). Anyway, here you go!

Ordinary Girl

I have always been
an ordinary girl.
Brown & brown
and pale pale skin.

I watch my eyes
in this broken mirror,
fractured irises
reflected back.

I wonder if I were to
wear my broken soul
would it be Hello Kitty

Or, even broken,
is my soul an
ordinary girl
too?




















Please go here to read other Poetry Jam poems!

Comments

  1. oooo nice :D I liked the hello kitty reference. Those alt people are mad about that cat. As for automatic writing, I do that occasionally. I find it loosens me up and I get really good ideas and images to start off from when I do it. Definitely recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am fascinated by Morticia Addams.

    I like to believe we are all special inside.

    Happy Sunday~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reflections and poetry really work well together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "fractured irises" - I like that; and I like your face in the mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a cracked-ness here that I like. It's caused, I think, by the opening protests of brown & brown ordinariness, jusxtaposed (o, what a word!) to that fractured soul. It works. Good job, Dana. I loved your photo manipulation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ordinary can be rather extraordinary you know...fractured irises is a great turn of phrase...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Extraordinary poem from an "Ordinary Girl"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing ordinary about your poem.♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. A pretty good result, particularly if you claim no control over it. Photos go great with it. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - I'd love to hear what you have to say!