Sunday, February 17, 2013

2013 Project 365 – Week Seven


This week was all about me me me!! I was out of control taking pictures of myself this week. Thank goodness for you I’m not sharing all of them – just THREE. For heaven’s sake.
Saturday, February 9th   
Before we get to me you get to see this gorgeous red-bellied woodpecker from our back yard. I think Dr. M did a fabulous job getting his picture. On Facebook someone asked why it’s called “red-bellied” instead of “red-headed.” Here is the answer: Cornell Lab explains as follows: "Red-bellied Woodpeckers are pale, medium-sized woodpeckers common in forests of the East. Their strikingly barred backs and gleaming red caps make them an unforgettable sight – just resist the temptation to call them Red-headed Woodpeckers, a somewhat rarer species that's mostly black on the back with big white wing patches." Females tend to have reddish bellies, hence the name.


Sunday, February 10th   
The doves are back! Or, actually, just the one – which makes me kind of sad…


I made Karen a hat & this is one of the two scarves she sent back! I promptly had to wear it to church.


Here is picture two of me. I’ve been writing in my journal most nights & using my favorite of my mother’s multitudinous reading glasses to see what I’m doing. I’ve always thought they were the most fun, but could never envision a day when I would actually wear them. I guess almost 49 is that day! (Please ignore my freshly scrubbed face & samurai hair)


Monday, February 11th           
Gorgeous sky on my way to work.


Dr. M took a picture of this huge plane that flies out of Wright-Patterson AFB. He could tell you the name of it – I cannot. Hopefully he’ll mention it in the comments :)


Tuesday, February 12th  
There’s a moon in the sky! Dr. M did a great moon post – check it out here.


Wednesday, February 13th    
Geese doing what geese do…


I took Wednesday off from work because I’d had 8 hours of church over the weekend (my friend Joanne’s memorial service on Saturday & my first vestry meeting on Sunday) & felt the need to do some home maintenance before the Ash Wednesday service that evening. I decided that Ash Wednesday was an appropriate day to take the Christmas ornaments off of the tree.


Home from church, of course I had to take a picture of myself & post it on Facebook (just call me a Pharisee – I think?). The State of the Bug: looking a little deranged, as I contemplate doing minimal Facebooking for the next 47 days...


Thursday, February 14th  
The best picture of the week in my opinion. This is one of the campus squirrels eating a McDonald’s French fry.


Happy Valentine’s Day to me! My sweetie gave me tulips, candy and Val Kilmer. Yum!


Friday, February 15th     
The tulips looking even more gorgeous.


There’s a story here. If you are my Facebook friend then you’ve already seen it. If not, you’ll have to wait until after Easter. Bwahahaha! (Um, please note that it’s not really all THAT exciting).


Go to Mamma Fran’s blog here to see the blogs of all the other Project 365 participants. Have a great week!

Most of our photos are taken with a 12 megapixel Nikon D5000 DSLR, using a 55-200mm zoom lens. This is the camera that Dr. M takes with him most days. He also takes pictures with our old reliable 7 megapixel Canon Powershot A710.  The Bug uses our new Nikon Coolpix S6200 most of the time. If you’re interested in which camera was used for a particular shot, just ask! 

18 comments:

  1. C-17 Globemaster III...the Air Force's heavy hauler, designed to replace the C-5 Galaxy. Designed by McDonnell Douglas and built by Boeing after those companies merged in the 1990s. It can carry 102 paratroops and their gear, or an Abrams tank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, that first picture of you isn't really a picture of you. and I love the samurai hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Dr. M! How does he know all that stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok so I had to go snoop on your FB page to see why you were hacking lotion bottles in half.....

    I may have to adopt that practice around here!

    The Saint is one of my favorite Val Kilmer movies:)

    Love the tulips!

    Blessings
    R

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm jealous of all your bird pictures. Birds seem to know that I'm after them - as soon as I even just turn on my camera, they just start flyin' and flittin' around and I have the toughest time getting a decent picture.

    Just one dove...sounds like the title to something, "Lonesome Dove." Hm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew it was a c17...former USAF jag.

    Love the woodpecker. We don't get many of the yellow bellies, but we get tons of downies and pileated.

    And that scarf is beautiful. Why did it return to you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those doves are lovely. Why is it that everyone has beautiful birds to take pictures of and I only have irritating crows?

    ReplyDelete
  8. i did hear that Val Kilmer chose to do The Saint over a second Batman film - meaning that George Clooney put on the batsuit for the next one

    I can only assume that both actors regretted their choices as Kilmer's career crashed for a while and Batman And Robin was pretty dire

    Love the pictures of the birds

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen that version of The Saint, though I love the original TV series with Roger Moore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute glasses! Avery came home from school with her forehead like that and I asked her what was on her face! Only my second year being a catholic school girls mom...oops!

    Must feel so nice to have the decorations gone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always love Dr. M's moon shots.

    We get the red-bellied woodpeckers at our feeders. Love them. When we lived at Dad's, we had several pileated woodpeckers who visited. They were something.

    Is that a bruise on your forehead or a reverse map of Texas?

    Love the glasses. They suit you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aren't those reading glasses great? I love the photo,and the squirrel, of course.

    But I just realized something. Wright-Patternson AFB is a point of connection. When I was a senior in high school, I went out to Washington, DC to spend a week with my Congressman and his wife (won a contest - another story).

    It was my first airplane flight. I took a prop plane out of Des Moines. It probably wasn't even a jet prop at that point. I'm sure it wasn't.

    I don't know where we landed along the way, but we ended up with a WHOLE bunch of military brass on the flight. Can you imagine the military flying commercial now? Anyway, they were headed to Wright-Patterson. The funny and memorable part was that we had terrible turbulence, and I didn't get airsick. One of the Generals did!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved the birds as always. The scarf looked great with your top. I too bore ashes on Wednesday. Loved the tulips too. We have some daffodils blooming. I have not shot them yet. Will try this week if the rain keeps away. Loved that plane shot too. My first flight was a Cesna flown by my best friends dad. First commerical flight was a DC-10 from West Palm to Atlanta to see my grandparents. I was 9 and flew alone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're cute with your scrubbed face and samurai hair! :-) I had to sta wearing reading glasses last week. Maybe I should post a picture of myself with them on.....
    Beautiful tulips! They're one of my favorite flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the reading glasses - very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, dear. I'm kind of sad about your singleton dove. :-(
    Gorgeous tulips, Dr. M!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cool glasses!
    Gorgeous scarf.
    Tulips???

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - I'd love to hear what you have to say!

2024 Project 365 – Week Twelve

I woke up not feeling well and skipped church (for the second week in a row - oops), but that doesn’t keep me from being deep in the throes ...