1. Tell me something about your favorite teacher.
Not necessarily my favorite at the time, but one of the most memorable - my seminary Old Testament professor, Sam Ballentine. He was HARD – it’s a miracle I made a B – but he made the Old Testament come alive – it was almost like he was the voice of God speaking to me in the classroom. Spooky, but in a good way.
2. Tell me about one pivotal moment in your life.
I had been considering the Peace Corps, but I wasn’t a teacher or a builder – I was an Accounting major. One day I was in the Christian Student Center at college & saw a brochure about the Journeyman program. This was a two year mission program for college graduates. It listed bookkeeper right there in the brochure! I applied for the program & ended up in Zambia. This obviously affected my world view (and was the beginning of my bleeding heart liberal self), but it also eventually led me to Dr. M.
3. About favorite colors--a lot of people will ask you what it is, but I want to know why it is. What feeling or memory does it evoke?
My favorite color is Roy G. Biv. I just can’t decide! But if you’re going to press me I’ll say purple because the amethyst has special meaning for Dr. M & me.
4. What's a sure sign that you're getting older?
My arthritis – I’m really salty that it’s worse now that the weather is cooler. Way to be a stereotype Bug! Oh, & the fact that there are people working with me who could be my children. Yikes!
5. Please don't sermonize, but Halloween--is it a yes or no for you?
6. What's your favorite musical?
The Buffy the Vampire Slayer musical! “I’ve got a theory, it could be bunnies…”
7. Are you more of a city mouse or country mouse?
Can’t I be a small town mouse? That’s where I’m most comfortable.
8. Did you know that it is possible, for a small fee, to name a real star after someone? (It's true! Google it!) If someone were to name a star for you, would you appreciate it for its whimsy and romance, or would you say, "Are you kidding me? For $19.95 we could have gone to the movie and actually bought popcorn."
That would be so excellent! Except I really want a new Prius instead… What do you mean they cost more than $19.95?
9. What's the craziest thing you've ever been doing and texted during it? I only thought of this b/c I was about to try to text during my walking video but I didn't.
Um, well, I’ve only texted successfully once in my life & it took me 2 hours to say “thinking of u 2day.”
10. "It's not a party unless _______."
11. When you're stuck in traffic or a waiting room, what do you do to pass the time? PS: There are no magazines available.
In traffic I’m listening to a book on tape. In a waiting room I’ve either brought a book or I play solitaire on my PDA.
12. If you weren't yourself, would you be friends with you?
I’m thinking not. I would find myself too annoying & off putting. “Boy, that Bug, all she does is talk about herself & whine.” I might friend myself on Facebook though because I think I’m funny.
OK, this ends the revealing things about myself trend until next Wednesday. I'll try to be more enigmatic until then.