Friday, November 13, 2009

Random Thoughts about the Man I Love on His Birthday

The other day Dr. M & I had an argument. After an eternity of discussing the whys & wherefores he said, “You still seem angry.” I said, “I’m not angry – I’ve been done with this argument for a while & I’m annoyed that we’re still talking about it.” I told him that as usual in this case I’m the man and he’s the woman. He likes to get to the heart of a matter. I just want to say I’m mad & move on. I think it’s because he’s a professor – talking about stuff is his job & he’s really good at it!

I would really like to take him out to dinner tonight to celebrate his birthday. He got birthday money from my aunt M – we can afford it! He’s the cook in the family. There’s a reason for that. I could possibly boil pasta. And heat some sauce. Or put the frozen pizza in the oven. Hmm. I’m thinking Mexican – what do you think sweetie?

Twenty years ago I gave him a birthday gift for the first time. It was something special to us - & remains an important symbol of how we “get” each other. This year’s gift is more whimsical, but another example of how we get each other – strange obsessions and all (remember, he got to drive the car that said OPUSLUST on the license plate). I should have gotten him a personalized plate – SHEEP1ST. Heh.

Although we’ve had lots of hard things happen during our marriage, none of those things has touched our marriage. We are one for all and all for one. Even before those vows joined us together. They were just words – affirming what we already knew.

Happy birthday dear heart.

8 comments:

  1. Keep weathering those storms. I used to want to talk things to death. No more. It's too emotionally draining. Besides, I know now that it doesn't really change things. Now, I'm like you. I get pissed off, I don't really want to talk about it, I'll get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mexican sounds great...oh wait...you weren't talking to me?

    I hope you have a wonderful night out!!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a happy birthday celebration! May your mutual love be eternal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please wish Dr.M a Happy Birthday for me. And may his Birthday wish come true.

    Very nice story of your love for each other, and may you have another 40 years of this loving relationship. You two are really blessed to have found each other.

    Take him out to dinner, so you do not have to cook, with your shoulder still in pain. You both deserve a treat. Have fun.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww.... Happy Birthday, Dr. M. You have a wife who loves you very much. I have a feeling that is the best birthday present of all...!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phew! I thought for a minute there that you were about ready to go into a tirade about what a horrible man Dr. M is - it seems to be a viral state in the marriages surrounding me and I'm trying not to catch it! SOOO glad everything ended well and I am REALLY hoping to hear that you and your man had a wonderful celebration for his birthday. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to Dr. M and your relationship growing more special everyday. Have fun tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I'm hungry all this talk of mexicans and frozen pizza! Glad you the Dr are still going strong.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - I'd love to hear what you have to say!

2024 Project 365 – Week Twelve

I woke up not feeling well and skipped church (for the second week in a row - oops), but that doesn’t keep me from being deep in the throes ...