10 Random Things
Lee Ryan from Occasional Notes tagged me for this list. As I was doing it realized that I had already done one several months ago - but I made sure to list 10 new things this time.
- I stole two grapes from the local fruit stand when I was around four. My mom made me go back in & pay a penny for them. She & the fruit stand lady cried about how cute & pitiful I was.
- A few years later at that same store my mom told me that I really should be friendlier to people – they were going to think I was stuck up. I told her I was just shy. It was a lie – I was stuck up. If you didn’t live in a book you just weren’t important to me.
- My mom had a pajama party for me when I was 10 or 11. Late in the night my friends went looking for me. I was in a closet reading a book with a flashlight.
- All this talk about reading makes it sound like I am really into LIT'rature – but, no. If I have to think about it more than twice your concept is too deep for me. Give me a good Janet Evanovich & let me escape into inanity please!
- As my family well knows, I have an irrational drive to point out errors – especially in writing. This does NOT mean that I don’t make errors myself! And I don’t really even think about it with my bloggy friends (except – please guys, use “than” instead of “then” when appropriate – it’s become an epidemic!). I recently emailed Tudor’s Biscuit World to inform them that they had a typo on their home page. I just looked & it’s been fixed! Wow – I do exert some influence in the world! (Leave me to my delusions please.)
- I had such a bad thumb-sucking habit that I slept with a sock on my right hand. In the 6th grade. I was desperate to give up the habit because my thumb was embarrassingly raw in the winter, but I was doing it in my sleep so I didn’t really have control over it. Thumb-sucking medicine didn’t work – it just burned a little & then went away. The sock was MUCH more effective!
- My first kiss was the summer after I graduated from high school. He was a NC farm boy named Gold. Nice guy, but not really for me. My second kiss was at Myrtle Beach the summer after my freshman year of college & he STUCK HIS TONGUE in my mouth! Ick! I just met you at putt-putt & now you’re trying to… Let’s just say I wasn’t a particularly fast girl at that time LOL.
- I do not like coffee or alchohol. I lump them in with cabbage & carrots on the list of yucky things in life. But once, a really long time ago, I drank an entire Fuzzy Navel over the course of two hours - & then had the nerve to think I was slightly tipsy. Wonder what would happen if I actually did get tipsy?
- One day while I was in Zambia I sat in wet grass (here is a picture of me sitting in that grass - look at those ginormous glasses! Looks like I fried my contact lens boiler again). As a result I was infected with Putzi fly larvae. If you would like to read the sordid & disgusting details of such an infestation, go here. I had a strange fascination with plucking the larvae from my skin with tweezers. Unfortunately most of the larvae had ended up in a region that I wasn’t able to reach, so my roommate had to do the honors. Strangely, she did NOT enjoy it as much as I did.
- Speaking of tweezers, when I was a child I used to like to stick my grandmother’s cactus spines into the tips of my fingers & pull them out with tweezers. No, it didn’t hurt. Yes, even I knew that there was something not quite right about it.
Wow – I’m really strange! Perhaps I’m getting a little too comfortable with all this “getting to know you” business. Whatever’s going on it will most likely continue on Wednesday when I do the Random Dozen Meme again. Sorry!