Sunday, October 23, 2022

2022 Project 365 – Week Forty-two

Hoo boy – we had QUITE the week here in Bugland! Buckle up – it’s a lot!
Sunday, October 16th             
After church I went to Dad & Sue’s for lunch & we had a special visitor. He’s just the most adorable (not biased at all here). Speaking of “biased” – that’s the correct usage, right? I’ve seen a surge of people saying, “I’m bias, but…” Wouldn’t that mean they’re calling themselves diagonal? Or am I crazy?
 

Monday, October 17th
I did that thing where I crocheted during lunch and got 1500 steps. Woot!


Tuesday, October 18th       
It’s been a minute since I wore this shrug because it just feels so extra. But it was cold, and I was bored with my other options.
 

Dr. M has been concerned about getting his dad’s gas fireplace serviced so that the pilot light would work. The guy who usually does it has been very sick, so Dr. M went to Google Trade School and figured it out himself. I’m pretty proud of him!
 

Wednesday, October 19th                 
My status from FB: This is not going to turn into a fashion account, but for the second day in a row I’m wearing something weird that I made. And I’m sharing it here so I can tell you that when I went to go to bed last night I straight up walked right into the bedroom door and sloshed water all over me and my phone and laughed like a loon. I was innocently scrolling Instagram and carrying a glass of water & forgot that the door was shut (because I like to live in Hawaii and sleep in Siberia). I thought it was SO FUNNY. I don’t know why. Dr. M just shook his head at me.
 

Dr. M found a great deal on a 2017 Ford Escape! And he’s letting making me drive it at least through the winter (it’s 4WD!). Oh my goodness – I feel like I’ve dropped into the lap of luxury. This is a huge leap forward from Daisy (2012). I think the features I’m most excited about are the dual temperature controls (marriage saver!) and heated seats. (Also, I am very short.)


Thursday, October 20th           
The only picture I took was of the magnet Dr. M snuck and put on the back of the new car. I had brought it home to put on Daisy & kept forgetting.
 

Friday, October 21st           
My nephew’s wife threw a surprise birthday party for him. It was a lot of fun. I especially liked the double-decker cookie cake. Yum!
 

Saturday, October 22nd       
Hart Square Village is a little over a mile from our house, and yet for some reason we had never attended the living history day that they have each year. Well, I had hip surgery, and then Dr. M had back surgery. Anyway we decided that this was the year. They have 103 structures, built between roughly 1760 and 1893, and artisans and docents spread over a pretty large area. We were pretty proud of how well we did walking up and down the trails over some rough terrain. We had a good day and both of us took a lot of pictures. I’m just going to share a “few” (ha!) here.
 



Of course I had to go into the little Episcopal church. The guy in there was actually playing the organ!
 

Dr. M had to have his photo taken at the Rhyne barn. Not sure exactly when it was built, but the name associated with it is George Pinkney Rhyne (1821-1948). He was Dr. M’s 1st cousin, 4x removed on his mom’s side, but he is also kin to Dr. M on his father’s side (Dr. M’s family tree goes straight up). George’s father, William Lawson Rhyne, was Dr. M’s 3rd great-granduncle.  William Lawson Rhyne's father, Jonas, is both Dr. M’s 4th great-granduncle (on the Rhyne side) and his 4th great-grandfather (on the Friday side)! Confused? So are we!
 

I’m sorry Nance – I did pull for Cleveland but to no avail. In fact, it sort of feels like me pulling for someone sounds the death knell on their season. Because I’m all powerful that way. What successes or lack thereof did you have this week?

9 comments:

  1. Yep. 'Biased' is right. Them others is wrong. That event at Hart Square Village is just so cool. I would have loved that, even without a personal connection to the barn! The costumes the women are wearing remind me of the one I had for our town's centennial, way back in 1957. I had a calico print dress that my mother made, and a parasol in matching fabric. Somewhere there's a photo of it all -- too bad I was wearing the glasses with the goofy frames my mom thought were necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first glasses had goofy frames too - they were from my mom's old glasses. Oof. Such a fashionable 4th grader. Ha!

      Delete
  2. "Bias" is a noun. "Biased" is an adjective, so that's the one you want!

    I would think that living history day would be right up your alley. Isn't Dr. M's degree in history? I too have relatives who are interlinked way back in my family tree. I don't think it's so unusual in the colonies or on the frontier in the days of yore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - Dr. M was a history professor at his university. This was definitely right up his alley (and in fact I caught a bit of a mini-lecture he was giving to some folks about how the still worked).

      Delete
    2. I'm directly descended from a core group of pioneer ancestors, so I am kin to myself several times over. Mom and Dad were fourth cousins and didn't know it, Mom's parents were second cousins and didn't know it. Given the large number of siblings any given ancestor might have had, limited transportation and communication, etc., people simply couldn't keep track.

      Delete
  3. Being a history prof I'm sure Dr. M thoroughly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Cleveland, but that team had fun and played some terrific baseball. "Next year!"--The Official Cleveland Sports Slogan.

    We're getting our bit of Indian Summer now, and it's lovely. We just returned from a lovely jaunt up to Niagara-on-the-Lake and successfully crossed back into the US with our haul of six cases of excellent wine. Our cellar is stocked and we'll be okay for the winter...pretty much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you made it to your OTHER home away from home!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by - I'd love to hear what you have to say!

2024 Project 365 – Week Sixteen

It’s “cold” (53 degrees) and rainy and I am in my sheep pajamas with a warm laptop on my lap. I’m not mad about that. Sunday, April 14 th  ...