Sunday, November 26, 2023

2023 Project 365 – Week Forty-seven

Thanksgiving! It turns out that it’s my favorite holiday because I get to see my family, eat, & then spend two (or three if I’m extra slack like this year) glorious days doing diddly and squat. I mean, I did do laundry & some cleaning, but mostly I sat on my butt and read, crocheted, and played on my iPad. Happy sigh.
Sunday, November 19th       
I saw this license plate in the drive-through and at first I thought heck yeah I’ll buy Snark Yarn, but then I realized that it was a snarky nurse driving the car and I guess that’s ok too.          
 

I was taking green bean casserole to work on Monday for our holiday meal & I told Dr. M I was afraid I would forget it so he put this helpful hint on the counter.
 

Monday, November 20th
In addition to our holiday meal, we had a little mini bridal shower for one of our assistants who was getting married on Friday.
 

Tuesday, November 21st                      
We watched one of my favorite “comfort food” movies. It makes me smile that it has a baby Rihanna in it (she was 23 or 24 here).
 

Wednesday, November 22nd                                
A dog in a car will never fail to make me smile. And if I can get a photo I will always text it to Dr. M.
 

Dr. M says Happy Thanksgiving from down in the holler!
 


Thursday, November 23rd - Thanksgiving!                     
Lots of photos from today. We have our group photo, some candids, and proof that I didn’t eat by myself this year (even though I tried).
 

Also, here I am trying to show folks how to do my craft – a little ‘zine with some of my poems. They were really good sports about it!
 

Dr. M wasn’t able to attend (he took lunch to his father so he wouldn’t be alone – unfortunately bringing his dad to our gathering was not a good idea for many reasons) – but I made sure he got his Thanksgiving feast anyway!
 

Friday, November 24th                          
No matter how many videos I watch I can never get the seeds out of a pomegranate without it looking like a murder scene. Someone on Instagram said that the cutting board & knife photo looks like the cover of a cozy murder mystery. Ha!
 

Sue gave us this amaryllis. The bulb has wax on it & it’s supposed to not need watering. I’m intrigued to see how it does!
 

Saturday, November 25th                     
Dr. M says: If those metal patio chairs could talk, what tales they’d tell! Pretty sure they are almost as old as me. That picnic table has some age on it, too, but it’s still strong enough to support a catnap. The wood shop is quiet, the tools covered in dust. My 91 year old loves sitting out there in the sunshine, petting his guard cat and glaring at the falling leaves. Some days he is present, asking significant questions and trying to understand my answers. Today he was lost in memories from well over 70 years ago. And the guard cat slept on.
 

I made a sleeve for my iPad and then decided to frog it. I really liked it, but it was a smidge too small. Unfortunately I think adding a couple of stitches to the width is going to make me lose that excellent accidental color pooling (it will look more like that middle section). We shall see!
 

I ate persimmon pudding, banana pudding, corn pudding – ALL THE PUDDINGS! Also, my family is pretty cool. Did you enjoy your holiday?

10 comments:

  1. Is that group photo your family? I'm gobsmacked -- and sort of envious. Even if some are friends or such, that's quite a crew. It's amazing that you could get everyone together, although it's too bad Dr. M and his dad couldn't come.

    I love the photo of the silhouetted trees. Not only that, there's something about the word 'holler' that makes me happy. Its opposite -- 'ridge' -- does, too. I hear those words in the hill country sometimes, and some of my happiest times there were in a little cabin down in a holler.

    OK. Once you get all those seeds out of the pomegranate, what do you do with them? Can you just eat them 'as is,' or do they have to be crushed or juiced or whatever? The stores are full of them now, but I don't have a clue what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! This year everyone present was either a relative or a spouse/significant other. My dad has four sisters (and one brother, but he wasn't able to come), and this is the result of their progeny. And my brother & his family weren't there!

      I eat my pomegranates on oatmeal or in salad. I once made a weird sort of Quinoa salad with it, but I'd like to find other recipes.

      Delete
  2. What a crowd! And I bet there was still a ton of food left over.

    That cat is beautiful. It looks like a Russian blue.

    Pomegranate is just not worth it to me. Too much seed, not enough fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a lot of food left! Mike is still eating ham. Ha!

      Delete
  3. Big family! And I love the picture of the naked trees. - Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an incredible gathering. Hope you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do so enjoy your quirky outlook on life. Your inner dialog about the license plate made me laugh. Also, I agree its one of my greatest joys to see a dog with its head out the car window. I just think it is the height of any joy that can ever be attained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed about dogs! They're so fun to watch. We had one at work yesterday which immediately made my nervous system calm down.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by - I'd love to hear what you have to say!

2024 Project 365 – Week Seventeen

I’m enjoying the calm before the storm – open enrollment kicks off a week from Monday and it will be crazypants until the end of June. And i...