Random Dozen Meme
If it's Wednesday, it must be time for the Random Dozen hosted by Linda at 2nd Cup of Coffee. If you want to link up or just read the other participant blogs, just click here.
I didn't used to unless I had contributed, but after a while I just started getting irate. If they're going to waste money sending me stuff without checking to see if I really want to donate, then I'm just going to use it! I even used free labels on our Christmas cards.
2. What is your favorite time of day (or night) for skywatching?
If I were a morning person I'd say dawn, but the only time I see a sunrise is if Dr. M films it for me. Here is my favorite sky (as painted by Dr. M).
3. What is the most adventurous you've ever been with trying a new food? (Keep it G-rated please).
I'm gonna go with the locusts in Zambia, although the rattlesnake in college runs a close second. They were both cooked by people who weren't experts in those delicacies, so I think that was the adventurous part. Kind of like if I were to try to make a roast – it would be adventurous of you to eat it. The locusts tasted like burnt okra (because they were burnt & in my memories most of the okra my mom fried was burnt). The rattlesnake tasted like chicken. Really!
4. Have you ever heard a rock sing? (Trust me, there's a reason for this one!)
5. If you could learn a language you don't presently speak, what would it be?
6. Al Capone's tombstone read, "My Jesus, Mercy." If you could write your own epitaph, what would it say?
If I Died For Want of Healthcare I'm Coming Back to Haunt You!
7. If you were a famous musician who was known by one name, like "Cher," "Sting," or "Jewel," what would it be? It doesn't have to be your first name, but it can be, if you'd like.
Damawallace! (See my Sunday post for clarification)
8. Have you ever been inordinately "into" a television show?
When I was younger I'm sure I was, although I don't remember. In my adult life I remember a flirtation with Friends, and an obsession with West Wing for about 2 seasons. Since then, nope. I don't want to be tied down & I know that I just wouldn't watch something I taped (or Tivo'd or DVR'd). I can't be bothered.
9. When you sneeze, do you go big, or do you do that weird "heenh!" sound that makes people think you're going to blow your brains out? Any other variation we should know about?
I believe that Dr. M could find me in a crowded Walmart simply based on my sneeze. It's pretty impressive if I do say so myself.
10. Do you still read an actual newspaper that you hold in your hands, or do you get your news elsewhere?
We recently subscribed to the "weekend" package for the Dayton Daily News. We get Thursday – Sunday – which I mostly read on Sunday because I won't sit down to mess with it before then. I like it because I'll actually read stories that I skip on the internet, since they're right there in front of me.
11. Are you a good speller?
I'd say middling. I used to be a lot better before the advent of spell check. However, I'd say when someone asks me I'm right about 95% of the time.
12. At what time each day do you start thinking about Lost lunch?
Seriously? Around 9:30 or 10:00 I start the pep talk. "You can make it until 11:30. If you eat too soon you'll get hungry this afternoon. And then you'll go to the café next door to get a pretzel with cheese." It's a slippery slope, eating your lunch too early!
To summarize (heh – I'm copying Amy Ro): I need get out of bed to catch the sunrise at least once in my life, yell "fore" before I sneeze and stick to eating instead of cooking. And maybe take 15 minutes each day to read the newspaper.
Happy Birthday Aunt V!
(She was one of the first people to call me Bug!)