Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Going Inside My Head


Fat Tuesday is over and done, and I have the pancake thighs to show for it. Last year I wrote my very first post about Lent, and what the discipline of observing Lent might look like in my perfect world. I'm not feeling any more perfect this year, but I've decided to once again try to give up something and take up something.

I thought long and hard about what to give up, that would be meaningful to me, and this is what I've decided. I'm going to give up the games and puzzles that I do online. No more Farmville or Farkle, no more Cryptograms or Cipher Lists. No more Webkins. I spend a lot of time with these games. I would like to see what it will be like to use that time for something a little more constructive.

And so I am going to take up the practice of reading something other than someone's blog post! I'm going to read books that I have on my shelf. I'm going to read books about the emotions behind eating. I'm going to read Lenten devotions (courtesy of Jan at Yearning for God).

Will I be wiser at the end of forty days? I hope so. Will I start playing my games again? I hope not with the same frenzy. Playing games is a way for me to avoid introspection. And heaven knows I don't enjoy time spent inside my head. But maybe for the sake of personal growth I can spend some time with the boring chick who lives in there. And then we can go play a rousing game of Farkle afterward.

See ya later alligator!

14 comments:

  1. I do crosswords online. Good for the mind of the elderly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All these are to help us pay attention. So for 40 days, we try to wake up more to Life. Thanks for the mentioning--glad something I posted is helpful. Let's wake up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading is good; it depends on the sort of books you intend to read. I read non-fiction books to get knowledge and help understand myself and things around me, and so bring about some improvement in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about all the facebook games. That would be an excellant thing to give up. Wish I had thought of that. I try to add a positve instead of give up something I fail at. Giving up those games though would be great...I spend too much time there. Hope you don't give up blogging though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never been sucked into FB games...YEAH! But brickbreaker on my Blackberry? Another story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am pretty sure you will enjoy these 40 days. It might be hard at first, but it will be very mind opening as well...good for you!!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boring? You make me laugh! I'm never good at choosing Lenten disciplines of sacrifice and service (or taking up). I was going to try to read Morning Prayer every day, but here it is Day One and phffffft. In my defense I was still working on my first cup of coffee and in my jammies when I got a phone call requesting a hospital visit downtown--in two hours. Ha! You can see why I need some discipline!

    I hope you find a right balance for yourself for the season. I'll be following with interest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too like the idea of not just giving up something but adding something in it's place. We do much do distract ourselves from ourselves in this life, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never got caught up in the Facebook games. But I do love chocolate. However, giving up chocolate for Lent would be too easy, so I have decided to give up red meat. I am only eating fish, no meat. I'll see how long I last. Fortunately, I love fish. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you. Good luck.
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember reading one of her early books, It's Not What You're Eating, It's What's Eating You, and being sort of smacked in the face by the truth she offers in terms of how we USE food. It was years later before I was ready to act on that tidbit, but when I did, my life fully changed.

    I like the concept of taking things ON during Lent and not just focusing on giving up, but the giving up certainly does make us mindful of sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great thing to give up. A good reminder about all the time-suckers in our modern lives.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the link to Jan's blog! I'm going to check it out now :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - I'd love to hear what you have to say!

2024 Project 365 – Week Twelve

I woke up not feeling well and skipped church (for the second week in a row - oops), but that doesn’t keep me from being deep in the throes ...