Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sundays in Zambia


I'm winding down my Sundays in Zambia series. There will be one more post after this one – although I might randomly post some other things as I think about them.

When I first arrived in Lusaka I stayed at the Baptist Complex, which had 8 flats for missionaries as well as the guest house for visitors. I lived there for a while, and then moved out to the Baptist Seminary. I lived in the last little house on the road by myself for a while, and then with a roommate who worked with the communications ministry. Once again I'm dismayed at the pictures I don't have, but here are a few of the ones I do have.



 My little house and my truck

 


I inherited Amber the Wonderdog from the previous journeymen. Under my care she got mange! I had to wrestle her to the vet a few times, but she ultimately recovered just fine. I ended up giving her away before I left to a family who really wanted a dog.

 


My room. Note the contact lens boiler on the bed (my second one since I fried my first one).The stuffed dog was a gift from my brother my freshman year in college. I took him to have a bit of home with me – and I still have him now! Samuel the Spaniel is a well-traveled stuffed animal!

 


My roommate Stacy is cooking something (thank heavens she arrived – she could COOK!) and the other Dana (a teacher at the American Embassy School) is laughing with her. Quite possibly at me. That would not have been unusual.

 


Look – I made a lemon meringue pie!!! With actual lemons from my actual lemon tree! I was so pleased with myself…

 


This is the road to the seminary. Unfortunately the camera flattened out the ruts so you can't really appreciate just how bad this road was! The state of the road didn't stop me from flying down it & raising a cloud of dust. I have no sense. But, you know, you figure out the best route around the worst of the ruts & it's kind of like a game to see how fast…. Um, I'm just making it worse aren't I?

 
Next week I'll have a handful of pictures of the people who worked where I did. And I'll say goodbye to Zambia for another while.

7 comments:

  1. I have no idea why, but I find it surprising to see you and other women wearing skirts so often. Just doesn't seem like practical Zambia wear to me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the contact lens that you plugged in to clean...I had forgotten all about those. You made a beautiful lemon meringue pie. I tried making one this past Christmas for the first time and it bombed! I never figured out what I did wrong. I like the truck you had. What year was this...I forget.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bekah - in Zambia it wasn't ok to show your legs (or rather, to show that you HAD legs). So, skirts all the time. However, they apparently didn't care if you had arms or breasts - so what you wore on top wasn't a big deal.

    Brenda - it was 1987. The olden days LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for another enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lemon pie is one of my faves. All from scratch = impressive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos. I love the little house. It reminds me of Florida houses. My sister's favorite pie is lemon meringue..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - I'd love to hear what you have to say!

2024 Project 365 – Week Twelve

I woke up not feeling well and skipped church (for the second week in a row - oops), but that doesn’t keep me from being deep in the throes ...