Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Poetry Bus is Driven by the Bug! (buckle your seatbelts)



[Note: I'm posting this early because we're leaving for NC in the morning. I'll still monitor things while I'm gone, but I wanted to get this post out there] 

As this is my first time driving the Poetry Bus I have to warn you that some of my friends consider me to be an unsafe driver. I disagree. I don't believe that trying to determine the exact moment when it's best to accelerate in a curve is unsafe. Exactly. In any case I will take extra care with TFE's fabulous bus. I won't go over 70 mph (128 km/h). Honest.

One of the reasons I haven't driven before now is that coming up with prompts is hard. And in fact, as I give you these three choices I'm not even sure that I'll be able to come up with a poem for any of them. But most of you have been at this Poetry Bus thing a lot longer than me, so I'm sure you'll have no trouble at all. So, pick one of the prompts below & have at it!
  1. In the first chapter of Isaiah God is having a fit. Quit giving me burnt offerings! Stop trampling my courts! Why do you even think I want that stuff? I am weary of bearing them… Wash yourselves! And then in verse 18 God says, "Come now, let us argue it out…" (NRSV) Now, you might not be a religious person, but I'm sure that even so you have wanted to argue with God (or Allah or the sun or your own super ego) in some manner. If you choose this prompt I'd like you to tell us about that argument.
  2. In the movie, The Hunt for Red October, Sam Neill (swoon) plays a defecting submarine officer. During a quiet moment in the film he tells Jack Ryan (Alec Baldwin) that he has always dreamed of living in Montana. SPOILER ALERT FOR A TWENTY YEAR OLD FILM! He dies before he makes it to the United States. Made me cry. Write about the place you dream of living someday. Or if you're lucky enough to already live there write about home.
  3. Although I have a legendary dislike of winter I think that the empty boughs of trees are beautiful. Write about leafless trees.
Watch this space! I'll post links to the bus passengers here:

120 Socks

Dick Jones' Patteran Pages

Peter Goulding at Stammering Poet

Rachel Fox at More about the song

Me!

Heather at Ragged Old Blogger

Kat at Poetikat's Invisible Keepsakes

Jeanne Iris at Revolutionary Revelry

Dave King at Pics and Poems

Carolina Linthead (Dr. M!) at Musings of a Dislocated Southerner

Helen at Poetry Matters

Jinksy at Alias Jinksy

Chris at Enchanted Oak

Niamh at Various

Izzy at Conversing

Gerry Snape at The Potters House Penketh

SouthLakesMom at I didn't know THAT!

Lucy at Lucy By Lucy

Mrs. Trellis at Living Hell

Swiss at Travels in the Floating Elvis (#1)

Swiss at Travels in the Floating Elvis (#2)

Swiss at Travels in the Floating Elvis (#3)

Stafford Ray

Dr. FTSE at The Doc's Homeopathic Poems

Don't Feed the Pixies

Titus at Titus the Dog

Muse Swings

Himself at Total Feckin Eejit

Gospelwriter at Turtle Memoirs

Cad at A Trellis Fencing

36 comments:

  1. Just want to say: Happy Thanksgiving! Safe travels to you and Dr. M., have a blessed day, and report in when you can. You will be missed!

    PS--a history professor at Cumberland is retiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant prompts Mrs Bug! Looking forward to seeing the results. Thanks fer driving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I WISH I could participate. I have never been able to write a single verse, but I subscribe to NPR's daily poem. Great prompts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE driving recklessly, if there are no children in the car to a) tell the police officer neighbor or b) grow up to drive just like me.

    Seriously, I like these prompts. When do I post?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not early at all for the prompt - I like having a little time to become inspired! Especially if I'm going to argue with God. Again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. interesting set of prompts, tis gonna be good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never too early for great prompts. I got inspired the moment I read them. Just sat and wrote most of mine in about 5 minutes!! So as soon as I have my pic, I'll post it. Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Thanksgiving! we'll see what the muse comes up with-

    ReplyDelete
  9. On a German Autobahn, you can drive as fast as the traffic allows and you car can. So on an empty road in the early morning you can go 120 m/ph if you like. Not with a bus, though. Only 100 km/h allowed.
    That rumbling God sounds so human. I wish I could invent good poetry!
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Dana! These are all great, but one in particular is calling to me...

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Danabug, posted poem for bus @ http:/120socks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great prompts, all, and thanks for them. I've gone for the leafless tree. Just click on my name above.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, hurray for you, Dana. Wild and wacky prompts, thought-provoking and titillating. I'm going to go i-llate some tits now.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here's my early ticket
    http://crowd-pleasers.blogspot.com/2010/11/dana-bugs-bus-home-sweet-sonnet.html

    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Dana,
    Mup http://stammeringpoet.blogspot.com/2010/11/watch-out-its-bug-bus.html

    Interesting prompts and yup, its gonna be an interesting ride

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not really a poet or writer but couldn't resist your third option as I love trees. Am just about to post my contribution to the Poetry Bus.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm here!

    http://hyggedigter.blogspot.com/2010/11/getting-bug-gy-on-bus-i-try-something.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Inspiring passenger prompts! I'll be riding along. I'll fasten my seatbelt and post by Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. O.K., I've scrambled aboard. Thanks for waiting for me - and for such alluring destinations from which to choose.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okay, Ms. Dana Bug, I'm up right here:

    http://www.revolutionaryrevelry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm up:

    http://childofafrostymorning.blogspot.com/2010/11/wrestling-with-god.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, Dana! I still have a houseful of Thanksgiving guests, and I have had no time for writing this week. If I can't catch the bus, I'll at least run alongside and comment! Be back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm on Bug, thanks for the prompts!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks, Great Job!
    Mine-
    http://izzy-conversing.blogspot.com/2010/11/poetry-bus-1-112810.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm up!

    http://southlakesmom.blogspot.com/2010/11/get-on-bus.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for another interesting prompt. I hope your Thanksgiving was joyful for you and yours. I have posted a poem. I am not sure how you will link to it (No "Linky" gadget??) so the URL is

    http://luciewestenra.blogspot.com/2010/11/poetry-bus-challenge-november-29th.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. Shortly and sweetly posted here
    (This comment copied to your post dated 26th. Nov.)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Another ideal spot to live posted here.Thank for the prompt. I look forward to reading the responses.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Bit late (8,000 years actually) but I've made it.

    http://titusthedog.blogspot.com/2010/11/bugs-bus-and-double-celebration.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am VERY late for the bus, but I am standing at the curb now and watching for our driver to take one last swing around for passengers.

    http://www.muse-swings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wait for me ! I'm ready now. Hey! Let me on! Come back, you've got my sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi, I've been lurking in the vicinity for a while, thought I'd join in the fun:

    http://turtlememoir.wordpress.com/2010/11/30/get-leafless-get-naked/

    Started out with what I thought was leafless trees, but quickly got into an argument with... god?

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'd like to join this weeks queue at the bus stop, please, if I may?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - I'd love to hear what you have to say!

2024 Project 365 – Week Eleven

This week at work was brain intensive which means I’ve spent the weekend trying to use as few brain cells as possible. That might affect the...