Thursday, November 26, 2015

Happy Thanksgiving!

Apparently I have a new tradition - writing a poem for my dad's family's annual Thanksgiving gathering. Unfortunately, Dr. M & I can't be there today, so I'm just going to imagine all that fabulous food & fellowship. (Daddy is saving some of my Aunt Marilyn's Persimmon Pudding - hope it keeps until Christmas!) Today's poem is short & sweet - about my dairyman grandfather & his lovely hairdresser bride. I've used this picture of them several times now - and wouldn't you if they were your grandparents? Such pretty people...



Mary and Bud
Had a little prewar romance
And here we all are.
A glance,
A word in someone’s ear,
A chance taken…
And here we all are
United in thanksgiving for
This family built
From milk and hair pins.

5 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful poem! "built from milk and hair pins". My family must of been built from delicious food and beer. LOL My mom was a cook and my dad worked at the beer store. Despite not being in Carolina, I really do hope that you and Michael enjoy a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend, full of blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy thanksgiving to you two!!.Hope you had a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving to you and Dr. M. Love the poem...especially the line "from milk and hair pins."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely poem. I love the little dimple in Mary's chin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great looking couple. Makes me think of a couple of country musicians on the road.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - I'd love to hear what you have to say!

2024 Project 365 – Week Eleven

This week at work was brain intensive which means I’ve spent the weekend trying to use as few brain cells as possible. That might affect the...