Thursday, July 7, 2022

Book Reviews – the June Edition

I got back into the swing of reading things in June, so buckle up!
 


Wolfsong (Green Creek #1) ★★★★by T. J. Klune. Ox is “different.” He lives in a small town in the Pacific Northwest, has very few friends, and was abandoned by his father when he was 12. When he turned 16 he met a boy, Joe, who took him home to meet his family. I don’t think I’m giving much away when I say that the family members are all werewolves. There are trials and tribulations, and Ox becomes something he never thought he could. The relationship between him and Joe is “complicated” and toward the end of the book I was OMGBLUSHINGWHATTHEHECKAMIREADING!!! What I’m saying is if you’re not into steamy sex scenes maybe don’t read this book. But it was so good! I loved how Ox grew into his own person. Note: This is the same author as The House by the Cerulean Sea and while I might recommend that book for middle schoolers, I maybe wouldn’t this one.
 

Weather Girl ★★★★, by Rachel Lynn Solomon.  Ari Abrams is a meteorologist who has a dream job at a tv station with her childhood hero. However, the hero and her ex-husband (who also works at the station) are making life miserable for everyone around them. Ari and sports newscaster Russell cook up a scheme to make them like each other again. Shenanigans ensue. This book was a lot of fun, and also had some pretty steamy sex scenes (steamy for me – just call me Granny Bug).


State of Terror ★★★★, by Hillary Rodham Clinton and Louise Penny. The Secretary of State of the brand new administration is working hard to instill confidence in the US after four years of a nightmare administration (sound familiar?). Then bus bombs start going off in random cities in Europe. This book is fast paced and kept me very interested – plus there were cameos by the characters from Louise Penny’s Gamache books which I thoroughly enjoyed. I love the humor she brings to her writing, even if the story is about terrorism.
 

Nightwork ★★★★, by Nora Roberts. This is one of Nora’s stand along novels and it was, as usual, excellent. In this one, Harry Booth starts doing “nightwork” (liberating rich people of treasure) as young boy as a way to help out his mother as she battled cancer. It turned out he was very good at it, and so he continued even as he grew up and went to college. He met the love of his life, but almost immediately he had to abandon her because the wrong person required his services. I thoroughly enjoyed Harry and his love interest, and the other characters that Nora likes to include in her books.
 

Bloodless (Aloysius Pendergast #20) ★★★★, by Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston. This is the book I was listening to when I made the face in my last post. Two bodies have turned up in Savannah with every last drop of blood drained from them. What in the world could have happened? Rest assured, Pendergast and his cohort figure it out, but it’s pretty darned gross in the meantime. OK, it’s only gross a few times. Regardless, it’s another fine addition to the Pendergast saga. And there’s a special surprise at the end which makes me eager to read the next one!
 
I’ve finished two books already in July, and expect to finish another couple before the end of the month. What are you reading lately?
 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you! I've added some books to my "want to read" list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just skip over the torrid sex scenes, blow by blow and lick by lick. Not that I'm a prude, would just rather be having sex than reading about it. I'll have to add the Nora Roberts book to my list.
    I'm currently reading The End of the Day by Claire North about the Harbinger of Death and his job. It's pretty good so far. Same author as The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - I'd love to hear what you have to say!

2024 Project 365 – Week Sixteen

It’s “cold” (53 degrees) and rainy and I am in my sheep pajamas with a warm laptop on my lap. I’m not mad about that. Sunday, April 14 th  ...