Monday, October 6, 2014

Wherein The Bug Cooks

My church usually has a pretty substantial coffee hour, depending on whose turn it is. I’ve only done it once before because, as you know, cooking is not my thing. Neither, apparently, is purchasing already cooked items for groups of people. I need to work on that.

Anyway, the first Sunday of every month is breakfast Sunday. Our kitchen folks prepare bacon, eggs, biscuits, & gravy, and everyone else pitches in with other stuff. I never bring any food because, again, the no cooking deal. But yesterday I decided I was going to actually Make a Food Type Item and take it to church. I looked for a vegetarian option because I know we have some vegetarians in the congregation & I knew there’d be bacon anyway. I made this: Cheesy Potato Breakfast Casserole with Cheddar & Sun-Dried Tomatoes


It looked pretty tasty. In my opinion there was too much mustard – I would only put about a third of what the recipe calls for.



But it didn’t suck, and it got eaten, and I got to use my fancy schmancy Longaberger basket. Maybe I’ll try cooking again in November.


12 comments:

  1. Good for you for cooking and doing a veg option. Love that basket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looked yummy to me and apparently everyone else thought so too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your baking dish was too big but the food looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the size it called for - but I think maybe my eggs weren't as large as they could have been. Since it used NINE that might have made a difference in volume. But you're right - it only filled up about half of the container.

      Delete
  4. I love casseroles. I bet it was all gone because it was delicious. This should give you the courage to try something again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not only that, I think the recipe would work just fine with skim milk, egg replacement, etc. I would use regular cheddar, though. And I'm no huge fan of mustard, so I'd take your recommendation on cutting back on that. The basket is the best! I've never seen one like that - very spiffy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Courageous and impressive. I do a lot of cooking because I learned from my mother who was always cooking up something. It's great to go beyond your scope sometimes and try something new, especially when you are successful. Your basket is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, it all got eaten! You can't ask for a better compliment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you can read you can cook. And it's easier every time. Show us what you take next month. I recommend "Funeral Potatoes." You can google the recipe easily. It's easy to make and always popular. And it will make use of your fancy basket.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your casserole is making me hungry! Love the Longaberger basket.

    ReplyDelete

2024 Project 365 – Week Eleven

This week at work was brain intensive which means I’ve spent the weekend trying to use as few brain cells as possible. That might affect the...