Friday, December 17, 2010

The Poetry Bus Reaches for the Stars!

Weaver of Grass is driving the poetry bus this week. I love her blog – as I told her on one of her posts, reading it makes me feel warm & fuzzy. She has given us a pretty straightforward prompt, which of course sent me into a tailspin (What to write! What to write!). The prompt is STAR. Any kind of star (Meryl Streep or the one on your Christmas tree or one in the sky). See - too many choices!

Star light, star bright,
The first star I see tonight;
I wish I may, I wish I might,
Have the wish I wish tonight.

It’s always the one
wish thing.
Like those riddles
about foxes
and boats
and rivers
and chickens.
Why are there
so many rules?
Why can’t I wish
for all the things -
all the silly
and splendid
and honorable
and selfish
things.
Eyes shut tight,
paralyzed by
indecision,
I wish for
the moon.

9 comments:

  1. Beautifully childish. And quite similar to mine in ways that might only be apparent to us!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, sweet! I like the repetition of the four items in a list, first about riddles and then about the things you wish you could wish for. Which by the way I enjoyed your word choices:
    "all the silly
    and splendid
    and honorable
    and selfish
    things."
    I just adore the word splendid and the word honorable gives you depth. I got interested in playing around with the order of those words for the differences in rhythm. Then I had to stop it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I would give you the moon and all the wishes your heart desires if I could.

    PS. A great t-shirt slogan apropos of this post: Date an astronomer--who else can promise you the sun, the moon and the stars and deliver!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We certainly have to fish through a lot of things, bumping everything aside- flotsam and jetsam until we come on a
    bit of the riddle...Our writing is selfish because it is our writing! and we try to have it shape into some semblance of readable.So wish on!
    and keep writing, Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful! I never saw the moon-line coming, but it was a great delight when it did!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear The Bug,
    What a great poem--it's about ambivalence and yet so direct about it!

    I'm with the commenter about the silly splendid . . . it's right.

    I am trying this too this week. You guys got me interested . . .

    Ann T.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This goes much deeper than mere childlike. This is about limits that others put on us and we put on ourselves.
    This should be on a greetings card or something. Wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  8. ....wish for the Moon. Love it. I like this little poem a lot, the flow of it, the way it just tumbles down the page. Too blahed out to do a poem this week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - I'd love to hear what you have to say!

2024 Project 365 – Week Twelve

I woke up not feeling well and skipped church (for the second week in a row - oops), but that doesn’t keep me from being deep in the throes ...