Wednesday, November 14, 2012

A Storm Is Coming Redux

[Note: Regular readers, you may skip this post - I know I just posted this poem at the end of October, but I've decided that it kind of goes with this week's magpie prompt.] 

Verdun, 1917 by Felix Vallotton

A Storm is Coming

The four horsemen of the
Modern apocalypse are
Congregated in my head.
Ignorance and Disdain
Gaze balefully
At their brothers,
Apathy and Greed.
A storm is coming.
A storm is coming.
And these four
Callous equestrians
Will be no help.

The table is empty now.
The feast table is laid bare.
Gone, the bread,
Gone, the cup,
Gone the voice
Singing in my head,
“Just as I am, I come, I come.”

Four sets of hooves
Scatter compassion
East West North South.
If you look hard enough
You can find it buried
In the Book of Common Prayer
Huddled between
The Psalter and
The Catechism.

If you look hard enough
You can find it buried
Inside your own heart.

This is a Magpie Tale.

5 comments:

  1. A rousing and appropriate modern interpretation of the Four Horsemen motif. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is stunning Dana! lovely words and thoughts albeit rather soul-searching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true Bug....and beautifully spoken!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - I'd love to hear what you have to say!

2024 Project 365 – Week Twelve

I woke up not feeling well and skipped church (for the second week in a row - oops), but that doesn’t keep me from being deep in the throes ...