- Saturday night Dr. M & I went up to the Piatt Castles to hear a talk given by a man who has written a biography of Donn Piatt – one of the brothers who built one of the castles. Donn was apparently a piece of work and not afraid to speak his considerable mind. And he fought in the civil war, having had to enlist as a private because he annoyed Mr. Lincoln too much to be appointed a general. Afterward I heard him compared to Rush Limbaugh, but I still plan to read the biography once it’s published.
- On our way home from the Castles we saw thousands of lightning bugs. Well maybe not thousands, but it sure looked like thousands. And then we passed by an airfield & they were having a balloon glow. It was kind of a magical ride home (possibly less magical for Dr. M, who was driving).
- I’m pretty sure the Reds need a new closer. Not that I’m an expert or anything, but 3 blown saves out of 4 games might be a sign. Just saying.
- Upon the advice of my former boss I’ve been using baby wipes to wash my face at night (I may have mentioned this before). Wow, they are a lot cheaper than my Olay Facials. And they come in all these delicious flavors (I got cucumber aloe or some such yesterday). I had no idea, having avoided the baby aisle for lo these many years.
- My surgery is four weeks from today. Yikes! I had another round of “I’m not decrepit enough to need surgery. I’m getting around just fine. I don’t wanna!” And then I remembered that I take 2400 mg of ibuprofen and one vicodin every day and that maybe that’s not really good for me, long term. And also, vacuuming did me in for two days afterward. I know, I know, I’ve gone through this before but I’m sure this will not be the last you hear of the subject before August 8th. If the surgery weren’t so early I’d probably get up & post the same refrain that very morning!
P.S. Here's a link showing a picture of a balloon glow.