Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Poetry Bus - The Bug is All Wet


TotalFeckingEejit is driving his own bus this week! He had a fairly simple prompt:

Something a little different this week. There is a new website of Photography and writing HERE called Photograph Prose- 'The virtual collision of photographers and writers.' I saw it on Nuala NĂ­ ChonchĂșirs blog HERE and put 3 photos in and a bit of prose, which they took, real quick and painless. So painless that I want you to visit the site have a look at the pics and words already exhibited then visit the 'UP exhibit' (clickable along the top of the page) and choose a picture to inspire some words.

After writing our poem we could upload it to the site, but Niamh stole my picture! Heh. I found the one I wanted to write about (taken by our fearless leader, no less) but I had to think about it too long & when I went back she’d already written a poem about it. Very funny. So, anyway, to see the picture that inspired the poem below, go here and read her poem, Alone at Last.

[Update: TFE sent me the picture so I could post it here - thanks TFE!]




My poem, in addition to being inspired by TFE’s photo, was inspired by Reya’s post The Great Turning. At the end of the post she had a poem by Rainer Maria Rilke, and the last verse grabbed my attention:

I circle around God, around the primordial tower.
I've been circling for thousands of years
and I still don't know: am I a falcon,
a storm, or a great song?

--Rainer Maria Rilke

There is power in the distance.
Does it harness the hot wind
of my failed argument?
There is no peace in this sea.
I shall sit and explain
it to you again.
Will it make more sense
now that the tide
has receded?
I am not a storm
or an ocean
or even a calm sky.
I am a catfish pond,
murky and sustaining.
And that’s all you
really need to know.

Remember to go back to TFE’s post to read what other bus passengers have written.

11 comments:

  1. Wow, really like your poem Bug, and it shows that you put the thought into it, a seamless matching up with the picture.
    Sorry I stole it first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone I used to know, kept reminding me " You have a great big heart, use it!"
    Now I am passing it on to you. It is not a dare- it is a challenge and a promise in the same instant. Once we are aware of something we are responsible for it...
    We can choose to go around corners at any moment and perceive things from a whole new perspective. Walk on ! 'The longest journey is from the head to the heart' You and your writing are worthy of this. Thanks for posting and introducing a new person-

    ReplyDelete
  3. You paint such a lovely picture with your words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Dana. good job. I like this a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great poem for a great picture!! These images are being snapped up fast...next time please submit to us. We'd love to have you as one of our contributing authors :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderfully done, Bug! Saw the picture with Niamh's words at the site, so I can completely visualise it.
    Love your take, and you are marvellous at a very particular Bug-bathos. The image of the catfish pond is instantly evocative, and so memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab poem,and perfect for the image. Maybe TFE will send you a copy of the photo, it might be something you would like to frame. Only a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful and well done! A catfish pond IS a a grey and surging storm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS You is driving this weeks bus!
    Poems to be posted on Monday. Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And if you want a copy of the photo , I could email one?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - I'd love to hear what you have to say!

2024 Project 365 – Week Eleven

This week at work was brain intensive which means I’ve spent the weekend trying to use as few brain cells as possible. That might affect the...